• Portrait of Feodor Chaliapin in Satka


Magnezit Cultural Centre in Satka will host "Boris Kustodiev's "Portrait of Feodor Chaliapin"" exhibition. One of the renowned works of the great Russian life painter will be on exhibit from 24 October to 18 November.

Since 2013, Satka has been productively cooperating with the State Russian Museum. The first joint project was Masterpieces of the State Russian Museum exhibition which allowed to show "Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" by Ilya Repin in Magnezit Cultural Centre. Satka became the first Russian town where the masterpieces form the collection of the largest national museum were exhibited outside the museum space. In 2014, "The Ninth Wave" by Ivan Aivazovsky continued the series of exhibitions. In 2015 −"Thank You, Ural!" Paintings of the 18th Century – Beginning of the 20th Century from the Collection of the State Russian Museum. 

This year, owing to the initiative of the Government of Chelyabinsk Region, Magnezit Cultural Centre will exhibit one of the best paintings of Boris Kustodiev.

It shows famous opera singer of the beginning of the 20th century Feodor Chaliapin. Despite the formality of the portrait, it is notable for expression of the actual essence of the main character, manifestation of his really national spirit, the fact that having gained the word popularity Chaliapin remained a Russian man. The artist himself highly appreciated this painting and valued the portrait placing it above all other works from the large collection of canvases of Russian painters. The exhibition is devoted to the 145th anniversary of the birthday of the famous opera singer. 

Kustodiev was working on the original portrait from 1920 to 1922. When the work was finished, Kustodiev made its smaller replica because Chaliapin had bought the first portrait and took it to France. Later on this replica was actively used for exhibitions all around the world, while the original portrait remained in the personal apartment of Chaliapin in Paris. The author’s version remained in the Tretyakov Gallery and then was handed over to the State Russian Museum from which it came to the Southern Ural.